BK Micro Car Collection BK GROUP - Helsinki
A 3-wheeled Ricksaw was also available

Cezeta 175 - 1960

The Čezeta was originally a motor scooter manufactured

from 1957 to 1964 in what was then Czechoslovakia, (now

the Czech Republic), by the Česká Zbrojovka Strakonice

(ČZ) company, which manufactured motorcycles from

1935 to 1997. Production resumed in 2013 with the

introduction of a new hand-built electric version Type

506.

Types 501, 502 and 505

The    original    design    of    the    Čezeta    is    unique    amongst    scooters.    It    is    unusually    long    for    a two-wheeled   vehicle   at   2   metres   and   has   a   distinctive   torpedo-shaped   body   with   a   long   seat that   lifted   to   reveal   a   substantial   luggage   compartment,   using   space   that   in   most   scooters   is occupied   by   the   fuel   tank.   The   front   mudguard   is   fixed   to   the   body   and   fully   streamlined   into the   leg   shields.   The   fuel   tank   is   positioned   above   the   front   wheel,   with   the   headlight   fitted   into a   recess   and   a   luggage   rack   on   the   flat   top   surface.   It   was   a   common   joke   amongst   Čezeta   riders that   the   exposed   front   tank   with   built-in   headlight   formed   an   explosive   warhead   and   detonator for   the   torpedo,   though   in   practice   the   Čezetas   proved   no   more   likely   to   catch   fire   than   any other motor scooter, even in serious collisions. The   scooter   was   driven   by   the   175cc   ČZ   two-stroke   single-cylinder   motorcycle   engine,   giving   a top   speed   of   55   mph   and   economy   of   3.2   litres/100km.   The   engine   was   modified   for   the enclosed   scooter   by   having   a   drive   pulley   on   the   crankshaft   driving   a   fan   by   means   of   a   Vee   belt. There were four foot-operated gears. The   original   petrol   versions   were   given   type   numbers   that   indicate   their   features.   The   first production   started   with   Type   501,   then   with   advancements   like   a   starter   motor   a   type   502   was later   released.   The   501   model,   built   from   1957   to   1959,   had   the   rear   wheel   supported   on   one side   only   and   suspended   by   a   rubber   block.   The   later   502   model   had   a   full   fork   with   motorcycle shock   absorbers.   These   types   contain   sub-types   to   further   indicate   their   features,   for   example type   502/00   is   a   12V   model   with   electric   starter,   and   a   type   502/01   is   a   6V   model   with   foot- crank starting. A   three-wheeled   utility   version,   the   type   505   (or   'rickshaw'),   was   built   starting   in   1960.   This vehicle used mechanical components and front bodywork from the 502. A   popular   sidecar   was   also   produced,   though   in   limited   numbers   -   approximately   900   in   total   -   by Drupol   in   Stiřín   near   Prague. This   was   sold   as   the   'Druzeta',   the   name   coming   as   a   combination   of the two companies names.

Type 506

In   2012,   a   new   prototype   Čezeta   type   506   was   made.   This   new   scooter   uses   electric   power   in   a rear   hub   motor   and   is   powered   by   a   large   bank   of   lithium-ion   cells   to   make   a   high-performance touring   scooter. A   new   Czech   company   was   registered   for   the   project   (čezeta   motors   s.r.o.),   and the   čezeta   trademarks   are   licensed   to   this   company.   Production   of   the   new   type   506   started   in June 2013, nearly exactly 50 years after production of the petrol versions had stopped.

N-Zeta

In   New   Zealand,   during   the   1960s   a   local   company,   JNZ   Manufacturing   Ltd   assembled   the 'Čezeta'   under   the   name   'N-Zeta'.   It   was   fitted   with   a   larger,   200cc   two   stroke   motor.   New Zealand    production    was    from    1958    or    1959    to    perhaps    1964.    The    point    of    New    Zealand production   was   that   high   import   duties   were   placed   on   imported   motor   vehicles.   New   Zealand assembly   reduced   the   imported   cost   and   hence   the   duty.   Further,   New   Zealand   manufacture   of components   further   reduced   the   duty.   The   JNZ   Man   Ltd   apparently   achieved   50%   New   Zealand manufacture   by   value,   with   tyres,   seat,   trim,   lights,   controls   etc.   The   501   model   is   identified visually   by   a   center   skirt   horn   and   dual   exhausts.   It   produced   8   bhp   and   could   go   50   mph.   The 502   model   is   identified   visually   by   no   center   skirt   horn   and   a   single   exhaust.   Output   was   9.5 bhp,   and   top   speed   was   59mph. The   502   was   available   with   electric   start.   Most   mechanical   parts were common with Jawa/CZs motorcycle range, except for the frame and wheels.

1960

Engine 174 cc 2-stroke
Photos mainly by Matti Kreivilä. Historical facts and technical details of the vehicles provided by Wikipedia. Movies YouTube.